We are hiring a Course Director for the 2020 Biggie event.
Download Job Description [PDF]
The Course Director assists and works closely with the Biggie Race Director to plan and execute an amazing mountain bike race experience for all participants. In our third year of existence, the Biggie has a fairly set course and program established. Our Course Director will learn and execute our current plans, and also assist with planning and executing changes for the 2020 event.
- Course Marking: coordinating volunteers and overseeing the overall execution of marking the course. Gathering course marking supplies and equipment, and producing signs.
- Attending and participating in safety planning meetings.
- Attending and participating in planning meetings with land managers to discuss course route, hazards, and/or changes to current course.
- Producing digital course maps using Trailforks + Google Earth.
- Identifying course hazards and working with land managers and trail volunteers to resolve issues prior to race day.
- Day of Event: working closely with the Race Director and Safety Director during the race, overseeing course safety and flow of the race as participants move through the course.
- Assisting with and overseeing the clearing of all course markings after the event. Ensuring the entire course is clear of debris and trash, coordinating with volunteers. Making sure that all borrowed equipment is returned.
While these items are not mandatory, the best candidate will have some knowledge and experience listed below:
- Familiarity with the trail network, terrain and neighborhoods in Big Sky, Montana.
- Experience managing and working with volunteers.
- Experience with trail races (either running or biking) from a participant perspective and/or as a coordinator or volunteer.
- Mountain biking experience will definitely be helpful! While you don’t need to have “race” experience, the ability to pedal any section of our course will be crucial.
This is a seasonal contract position.
Duties begin in early August, and ramp up to the event weekend (Saturday, August 29, 2020). Approximately 120 hours of work, with most of the work being done August 22-31, 2020. Course Director will need to be available full days, August 27-30, 2020.
The Big Sky Biggie has budgeted funds to compensate this position at an hourly rate, based on industry standard and experience level.
Please send a resume and letter to email@example.com. Preference will be given to local Big Sky residents, but anyone is encouraged to apply.